myfoodbook - myCollections
"myfoodbook is a recipe and cookbook destination where you can create your very own personalised digital cookbooks using recipes from top food brands, combined with your own ideas.
The myCollections iPad and iPhone cookbook series make it even easier to use online recipes in the kitchen. Inspirational ideas are combined with handy features including large text cooking mode, voice control page turner, cooking timers and easy ingredient references."
myfoodbook is a client from when I worked at Oomph as a digital designer.
The client approached Oomph with the expectation to create an iOS app that is able to publish collections of recipes as individual books. Each book downloaded by the user will have to be available for offline viewing and retain all functionality.
As each book can include up to 200 or more recipes, it was not feasible to craft each page by hand. We decided to create a semi-automated system using Ruby as the back-end, and have it fetch recipes from the myfoodbook website and automatically generate pages based on pre-designed HTML templates. The designer then has to create branding/themed pages and elements for that specific book, and curate everything together to perform QA.
The books were not published on a set schedule, and at times require a very short turnaround (< 4 days). On some occasions, there may be several books released within a single week.
Since its launch, the myfoodbook collection has expanded to over 15 unique sponsored & seasonal books, and the collection is still growing. Myfoodbook has been featured on the App Store, and receives a consistent 4.5 star rating from its users.
My roles in this project:
- Design responsive and functional templates for different sections such as the cover, main contents page, sub-navigation, portrait & landscape recipe pages, and more.
- Craft an intuitive user experience for users, using Oomph digital publishing suite's set of interactive features. e.g. voice-activated navigation, conversion charts, cooking timer.
- Coordinate with the project's lead-developer to create a modular structure for the Ruby back-end.
- Perform template-level changes on the Ruby back-end.
- Coordinate with the client to create and collate assets for each book for publishing. e.g. promotional banners, App Store screenshots, app description and push notifications.
You can download the myfoodbook myCollections app here.